It is clear by the MP's comments that the Liberal and NDP members will be voting in favour of moving the Bill forward; unfortunately it is just as clear that the PC party is against it.
This is the closest we've ever been to improving Parental Leave Benefits for future multiple-birth families. In fact, if we can just convince the Conservative MPs that they should vote yes on March 27th we could be celebrating a victory after all these years.
We have two weeks to convince the PC MPs. It is obvious we will only be able to do that if we personally connect with them at their riding offices. Please – please consider helping us to do that. It will make the difference in whether Bill C-464 gets passed or not.
Four MPs at the top of the list are:
1) Scott Armstrong the MP for Cumberland—Colchester—Musquodoboit Valley (Nova Scotia)
2) Erin O'Toole the MP for Durham (Ontario)
3) The Honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development, and the MP for Haldimand–Norfolk (Ontario)
4) The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada, and the MP for Calgary (Alberta)
We need Chapters and multiple-birth groups across Canada to volunteer to connect with these four MPs. The best scenario would be if someone in each of these areas – Halifax, Durham, Brant/Brantford, and Calgary would respond to this request to help.
Please realize this is only a two week project. Quick and yet one of the most important volunteer jobs you may ever do. It is absolutely acceptable to involve supportive friends who have the skills needed to assist you to do the following:
• Call the MP's office on Monday morning to make an appointment to visit him/her.
• Ask other multiple-birth parents and their families to come and support you during the MP visit.
• Hand deliver the completed petitions from your Chapter/group (available on the MBC website).
• Present the MP with the document MBC has produced to explain why Bill C-464 is needed by Canada's multiple-birth community. Here is the link to the English:http://multiplebirthscanada.org/mbc_documents/EI_Parental_Leave_Position_Paper-MAR0613.pdf and here is the link to the French:http://multiplebirthscanada.org/mbc_documents/EI_parental_leave_Position_Paper_-_francais_-_MAR0813.pdf
• You should also call/invite at least one newspaper and TV station to join you for the visit – this will demonstrate to the MP just how important this issue is to his/her constituents.
We need these four key PC MPs to understand that Bill C-464 does NOT fundamentally change the Employment Insurance program. It has been flawed from the start in how it assesses benefits for Canada's multiple-birth families. Regardless of the fact that Bill C-464 was introduced by the NDPs, it is a bill the Conservatives must pass if they want Canadians to believe the PCs stand for family values.
Gail Moore will happily mentor the person in each area who is going to lead the initiative. Please email her at email@example.com to let her know you are interested in making a difference on this issue.